Monday 31 May 2010

Macro Monday 1

Ever Wanna Bee on TV?














I've been playing around with a little macro photography lately.  Dude...macro is HARD!  Or maybe it's just me.  Not sure, but I can't seem to adjust the focal area to get the whole bee in focus.  Surely that's possible?!  Anybody have any ideas?  Please remember that I don't speak camera completely fluently yet.  :)

Found this guy on my Sky remote and was grateful for his cooperation while I took several shots of him.  Ehh...who am I kidding?  I took about a hundred shots of him, most of which are crap.  Like I said, macro is hard!








Constructive criticism would be very much appreciated! 

For more Macro Monday fun, go here.  Lisa's Chaos is an amazing photoblog...take a look and enjoy!

10 comments:

Kala said...

It is difficult to get the entire insect in focus. That's why I stick with the flower macros!

Manang Kim said...

Oh oh I hope it won't bit a thing. ^_^ Happy Monday!
MM~My Iris

fredamans said...

Awesome shots!

I'm allergic to bees and this was enough to scare me. Well done on the macros, love the variations.

http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/05/macro_30.html

MyMaracas said...

I think you did a great job!

What you're asking about is "depth of field". Check your camera manual and see if you can adjust the aperture setting. It'll be an A or AV on one of your camera's gizmos. Setting it for a higher number will put more of the subject in focus. Holding the camera horizontal to the subject will help, too, as will a tripod.

MyMaracas said...

Oops - the word I wanted was parallel, not horizontal. Sorry.

chasity said...

that first shot is fantastic...
i think that you might be able to get more in focus if you changed your aperture....right now it looks very shallow. which can also be an awesome effect.

have fun playing!

CountessLaurie said...

I don't know macro, but I love your pics! Especially the ones where he (she?) is looking at the camera. Shiver...

Perry said...

A couple things you can do with insects is shoot them from the side, as you did, providing the most in focus you can get. Don't forget to go to about f22 for depth of field. The other thing to do is called stacking, where you take a bunch of shots only changing the focus and using software to stack all the sharp photo bits together to give the effect of infinite depth of field. Does not work on live varmints like bees though unless they have expired! Cool bee shots. Keep 'em coming! (Thanks for visiting my blog!)

Dario Ferrari Photos said...

Great shots!..and great courage..!I'm scared of bee...!

Have a lovely week!
Dario

25BAR said...

I've heard that the bee population is on the decline. And on the verge of extinction!

Related Posts with Thumbnails