Saturday 9 January 2010

New Year, New Camera...What Now?

So. I received an amazing DSLR camera for Christmas this year, given to me by the Love of My Life (who will be referred to from this point on as 'LoML'). I was and am absolutely delighted; I have ALWAYS wanted to 'be able to take a good picture', as LoML reminded me. And really, when I thought about it, I realized that photography has always been an unnamed yet lifelong passion for me...sort of. I mean, I got my first camera as a gift when I was five years old. It was a Mickey Mouse camera, with Mickey's face on the front of it. It took crap pictures (or maybe it was me?), but that didn't stop me from using up roll after roll of that old 110 film, saving my allowance to pay for processing, then proudly showing my blurry printed images of Something Red and I Think I See a Face There to anybody who'd look.

As I grew up my parents took note of my budding talent (ha!) as a photographer and every two or three years surprised me with a camera for Christmas or my birthday. My picture-taking abilities improved a bit which each successive camera, and by the time I got my first digital (another Christmas gift from Mom and Dad), I had scores of photos--some organized, labeled and neatly filed in a photo box, others lying stray in boxes of keepsakes and mementos...and a few lucky ones actually had frames! It was soon after my move to digital that I began to commit the Cardinal Sin of Digital Photography: I stopped printing. Photos filled memory cards and hard drives and never saw the light of day. Vacations were forgotten, funny moments were captured but never released. By the time I got to my third digital camera my life in pictures was...well, not really *in* any pictures. So much for a thousand words.

So LoML got me my first digital SLR, complete with four lenses and a fancy-schmancy padded backpack for all my photographic accessories. Really, this camera is amazing! I knew right away that it is much smarter than I am...and I was intimidated. I had no idea what to do with the various settings and buttons and dials, let alone a macro or telephoto lens. I couldn't even figure out how to turn it on! As I said, I was delighted...but I was also terrified. What do I do now??

Well, it's been a couple of weeks and I can proudly say I know how to turn the camera on and off. I have even been messing around with a few of the doodads, the beautiful bells and wonderful whistles. It's a fantastic camera, and I feel some sense of responsibility to become a bit closer to being the photographer it deserves. Hence, my New Year's Resolution:

"I hereby resolve to learn how to use my new Canon 50D, its lenses and its features,
and to become the photographer my camera wants me to be. Or die trying."

Okay, that last part might be a bit dramatic, but I think it shows how committed I am to this undertaking. To that end, I have started this blog as a place not only for my thoughts and many opinions, but also for my images. Even if my pictures never enjoy fame and popularity in printed format (though I am hereby committing to printing as well), this blog will allow them to enjoy...well, anonymity and obscurity, most likely. I will, however, use this as a place to sort of track my improvement as I acquire greater skills and understanding of photographic terms and techniques.

So there.
xx

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails